Health Fair Planning
Bringing Health Information and Services to Laborers and Their Families
When you’re looking for an innovative way to address the health behaviors of LIUNA members and their families, planning a health fair or incorporating a health screening event into a LIUNA function can do the trick. The LHSFNA Health Promotion Division can assist.
The Division can arrange for nurses to conduct health screenings for blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol at no cost to you. To request assistance, print and complete the top portion of the Health Screening Event Request Form and fax it back to Jamie Becker’s attention at 202-628-2613 or call her at 202-628-5465. A minimum of ten business days notice is needed to ensure nurses for your event and the delivery of support materials on time.
Reaching Laborers through health fairs and health screenings helps to:
- Identify health risks for specific individuals
- Encourage behavior change
- Reduce health care costs
- Increase wellness program participation
- Improve member health awareness
- Show that LIUNA cares
Planning a Health Fair
If you are planning a health fair, these guidelines will help make it a success.
Health Fair Planning Checklist
- For membership events such as local union meetings, picnics or holiday parties, consider contacting LHSFNA to schedule a nurse to provide health screenings.
- Define your audience (e.g. Laborers, families, retirees, union leadership, etc.).
- Select convenient times and locations for the health fair.
- Identify appropriate services that fit the needs of your audience.
- Identify and contact internal and external providers to help with services (e.g., LHSFNA, a LIUNA health and welfare fund, organizations such as the American Cancer Society and the American Red Cross, local hospitals, member assistance programs, etc.).
- Order educational materials, supplies and equipment as needed.
- Publicize the event with as much advanced notice as possible.
- Choose give-aways, door prizes or raffle prizes.
No matter how big or small your event, the LHSFNA can assist you in planning. Contact the Health Promotion Division for assistance at 202-628-5465.