Health Care & Insurance
The majority of Americans rely on health insurance to access affordable health care. However, health care spending continues to rise sharply, now making up 20 percent of the U.S. economy. Prescription drug prices have also risen sharply over the last several decades, greatly adding to the cost of health insurance for Laborers and LIUNA signatory employers.
Impact of Health Care & Insurance
Despite the importance of health insurance, many non-union construction workers don’t have any health coverage. People without health insurance are much more likely to postpone necessary treatment or go without it altogether, to be financially burdened by medical bills when they do seek treatment and to receive later-stage diagnoses of chronic illnesses. This is especially problematic in an industry like construction, where workers are at increased risk for workplace injuries and illnesses.
Addressing Health Care & Insurance Needs
Union workers are far more likely to receive health insurance through their employer. Providing access to health insurance – especially the comprehensive coverage typically provided through union health and welfare funds – can improve physical and mental health status and quality of life for workers and their dependent family members.
Fund Resources & Services
- Use the Recent Articles or All Related Articles tabs above to view Lifelines articles on this topic or browse our Health Care & Insurance publications.
- The Health Promotion Division works with LIUNA health and welfare funds to revise and update existing benefits as well as implement new benefits. Members are encouraged to contact their health and welfare fund or their Local Union for detailed coverage information.
- The LHSFNA, in partnership with Express Scripts, Inc., provides pharmacy benefit services to LIUNA health and welfare funds through the LaboreRx Coalition. Through this partnership, the LHSFNA continues to lower costs for LIUNA members and health and welfare funds while ensuring access to high-quality care.
- The LHSFNA, in partnership with the Union Labor Life Insurance Company (Ullico), offers a medical stop loss insurance program to LIUNA health and welfare funds as financial protection against catastrophic health claims.
- The LHSFNA hosts quarterly online meetings between LIUNA health and welfare fund administrators to allow administrators to share timely healthcare and benefits-related information and best practices.
- The Health Promotion Division produces a bi-weekly Health Care and Insurance News Bulletin sharing helpful articles related to health care coverage in the United States.