Promoting and improving the general health and wellness of Laborers and their family members – on and off the job – is the primary focus of the Health Promotion Division. This is accomplished through a wide variety of services, programs and initiatives that support the work and goals of LIUNA health & welfare funds, training centers, district councils and local unions.
- Develops training and informational campaigns on smoking cessation, skin cancer prevention, substance abuse, nutrition & fitness and other health and life-style issues that affect Laborers and their families
- Coordinates routine health screenings for Laborers and their family members at health fairs and other events sponsored by LIUNA affiliates and signatory contractors
- Monitors the progress of health care reform in the United States, particularly as it relates to LIUNA health & welfare funds
- Researches, develops and promotes health care cost initiatives
- Provides technical support – benefit analysis, merger studies, wellness newsletter publication – to LIUNA health & welfare funds
- Conducts training sessions in conjunction with the LIUNA Training and Education Fund at the request of LIUNA training centers, district councils and local unions, and at the LIUNA Tri-Funds and Medical Conferences
- Provides drug-free workplace program support to signatory employers.
- Assists implementation of Member Assistance Programs
- Facilitates Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) for signatory employers and LIUNA members to help cope with the psychological trauma of worksite catastrophes
The Health Promotion Division staff welcomes questions and input from LIUNA members, health and welfare funds’ trustees and professionals, training center staffs, signatory employers and LIUNA business managers and agents.