- Transportation Funding and Worker Training Get a Boost This Summer
- Prevailing Wage Laws Strengthen Worker Safety
- The State of Marijuana in the U.S. in 2017
- Design Your Jobsite to Keep All Laborers Working Safely
- Actor’s Death Shows the Dangers of Detoxing Alone
- Silica Enforcement Begins September 23rd. Are You Ready?
- Skipping That Eye Exam Could Cost You … Your Vision
- Financial Wellness: Don’t Let Financial Stress Get the Best of You
- Is Your Sandwich Harming Your Health?
- Health & Safety Headlines
- Help Keep LIUNA Members Safe in Highway Work Zones
Enforcement of OSHA’s New Silica Standard Begins September 23rd. Are You Ready?
Here are some of the key provisions in the new standard:
- A much lower permissible exposure limit for workers
- Two different compliance options, one of which doesn’t require air sampling if followed correctly
- Mandatory use of engineering controls to reduce exposures
- New medical surveillance, worker training, respirator use and competent person requirements
- Prohibitions on common work practices such as dry sweeping
If you’re a LIUNA signatory contractor and don’t already have a plan in place to comply with the silica standard, the LHSFNA’s OSH Division is here to help. Contact the Fund at 202-628-5465 for help reviewing your current program or for more information.
The Fund also offers the following silica-related publications that can help LIUNA Local Unions, training centers, signatory contractors and members learn about the hazards of silica and take steps to reduce exposures.